Per chevron reversed Argent and Gules, on a bar in base Sable fimbriated of the first a cat-a-mountain salient guardant of the third, armed langued, collared and lined of the second, in sinister chief a mullet voided and fretted Vert.
From a wreath Argent and Gules from two palm branches saltirewise Proper issuing a demi-scimitar palewise of the first gripped of the second and enfiled by a cogwheel Or.
SEMPER ULTIMO (Always To The Top).
Red and white are the colors used for the Corps of Engineers. The bar symbolizes a treadway bridge, the construction of which was a major combat mission of the organization. The cat-a-mountain, a European wildcat, indicates the stealth and swiftness required in combat engineer operations, and the soldiers of the battalion are know as "Catamounts." The black cat also connotes the darkness in which operations are conducted. The star from the flag of French Morocco represents service in that area during World War II. The inverted chevron symbolizes the battalion's spearheading of armored engineer activity in World War II.
The six teeth on the gear wheel represent the unit's campaign service during World War II. Gold denotes excellence, while the gear wheel alludes to engineering. The scimitar honors the battalion's Valorous Unit award for IRAQ-KUWAIT, and the crossed palms highlight the unit's Southwest Asia campaigns.
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 16th Armored Engineer Battalion on 25 Apr 1952. It was redesignated for the 16th Engineer Battalion on 12 Sep 1957. The coat of arms was amended on 5 Dec 1984 to correct the motto. On 21 Oct 1994 the coat of arms was revised to change the symbolism. It was amended on 29 Sep 1999 to include a crest.