Or, a dragon segreant with wings inverted Gules armed and langued of the like clutching in its front claws a lightning bolt Azure, its dexter hind paw resting upon an automobile wheel Proper.
From a wreath Or and Gules, an antique coronet Argent (Silver Gray) from which issue, between the points, four tongues of flames Proper, surmounted by two retorts saltirewise and overall an isosceles triangle point down Or.
FLAMMIS VINCIMUS (With Fire, We Conquer).
Or (golden yellow) is a color traditionally used for the Chemical Warfare Service. The dragon clutching a lightning bolt is reflective of the unit's aggressive attitude. The lightning bolt symbolizes the ability to fight with or against fire, gas and smoke. The automobile wheel represents the unit's mobility for rapid response.
The five points of the coronet refer to the decorations awarded to the battalion for their campaign participation in Korea and Southwest Asia. The tongues of flames indicate the battalion's four campaigns: WWI, WWII, Korea and Southwest Asia. The flames from the coronet allude to the opening of a cannon, recalling the unit's distinction as the only WWII Chemical Mortar Battalion using 4.2" gas mortars. The two retorts, adapted from the United States Army Chemical Corp insignia of branch, suggest the unit's designation. The reversed triangle represents the hazard identifier used in the present military, for chemically/gas contaminated areas.
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 2d Separate Chemical Battalion on 8 August 1940. It was redesignated for the 2d Chemical Mortar Battalion on 26 February 1951. It was redesignated for the 2d Chemical Weapons Battalion on 3 August 1953. The insignia was rescinded on 15 November 1963. It was reinstated and redesignated effective 3 August 1992, for the 2d Chemical Battalion. The coat of arms was amended to include a crest on 11 October 2002.