173D INFANTRY REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Or, a Polynesian war club bendwise Vert, garnished of the field interlaced with an annulet Sable. Attached below the shield a Gold scroll inscribed "TAUGHT TO LEAD" in Black letters.

Symbolism
The colors yellow and green are those of armored organizations, the original designation of the unit. The black annulet represents a link of chain mail and is symbolic of Armor. It may also be taken as the letter "O" standing for "Ozark," the location where the unit was organized. The war club interlaced with the annulet represents World War II combat service in the Central Pacific.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 131st Tank Battalion, Alabama National Guard on 29 August 1951. It was redesignated for the 131st Armor, Alabama Army National Guard on 13 December 1960. The insignia was redesignated effective 1 September 2008, for the 131st Cavalry Regiment with the description and symbolism updated. It was redesignated for the 173d Infantry Regiment effective 1 September 2016.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Or, a Polynesian war club bendwise Vert, garnished of the field interlaced with an annulet Sable.

Crest

That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Alabama Army National Guard: From a wreath Or and Vert a slip of cotton plant with full bursting boll, Proper.

Motto

TAUGHT TO LEAD.

Symbolism

Shield

The colors yellow and green are those of armored organizations, the original designation of the unit. The black annulet represents a link of chain mail and is symbolic of Armor. It may also be taken as the letter "O" standing for "Ozark," the location where the unit was organized. The war club interlaced with the annulet represents World War II combat service in the Central Pacific.

Crest

The crest is that of the Alabama Army National Guard.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 131st Tank Battalion, Alabama National Guard on 29 August 1951. It was redesignated for the 131st Armor, Alabama Army National Guard on 13 December 1960. The insignia was redesignated effective 1 September 2008, for the 131st Cavalry Regiment with the symbolism updated. It was redesignated for the 173d Infantry Regiment effective 1 September 2016.





Jump to Top