ShieldOr, on a pile Azure in Chief a sun of eight points of rays between three five-bastioned mullets two and one of the field, in base overall the blockhouse of San Juan Hill, Santiago, Cuba, Proper.
CrestOn a wreath of the colors a horseshoe with nine nail holes heels down Argent winged Purpure debruised by two arrows in saltire Sable armed and flitted Gules.
MottoWE CAN, WE WILL.
ShieldThe Regiment was organized in 1866. The field is yellow for the Cavalry and blue triangle with the sun and three five-pointed stars are from the old flag of the Philippine Insurrection with a change of color. The three stars also represent the three tours of duty in the Islands. The blockhouse is the old pride of the Regiment, a representation of the actual one which was taken at San Juan, Santiago, Cuba, in 1898. The wedge is blue in color and recalls the fact that the 9th split the Spanish line at Santiago with the capture of the blockhouse when they charged dismounted as Infantry.
CrestThe crest is the well-known Scotch device signifying the alertness of the mounted man and the arrows are for the old Indian campaigns of the Regiment.
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 9th Cavalry Regiment on 10 April 1922. It was amended to change the blazon on 4 October 1922. It was amended o change the blazon on 29 August 1924. The insignia was redesignated for the 509th Tank Battalion on 28 May 1951. It was redesignated for the 9th Cavalry Regiment on 1 October 1958. It was amended to change the symbolism on 23 June 1960.