A silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86cm) in height overall, consisting of a silver stylized castle superimposed in base by a blue wavy bar, overall a green Staff of Aesculapius; all enclosed in base by a maroon scroll inscribed at bottom "FORTRESS OF HEALTH" in silver letters.
Maroon and white (silver) are the colors traditionally used by the Medical Corps. The wavy bar symbolizes the Main River valley and the city of Wurzburg, the original location of the MEDDAC. The castle refers to the Fortress of Marienburg, which was the Episcopal residence from 1261-1720 and now houses a museum. It is the principle landmark in Wurzburg. The Staff of Aesculapius symbolizes the organization's medical mission.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for U.S. Army Medical Department Activity (MEDDAC) Wurzburg on 14 July 1999. It was redesignated effective 16 March 2007, for the U.S Army Medical Department Activity (MEDDAC) Bavaria and amended to revise the symbolism.