MEDICAL DEPARTMENT ACTIVITY (MEDDAC), FORT SILL
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a voided silver five pointed star with a smaller silver star at its center and all on a maroon Greek cross with yellow radiating rays beneath an arc of six conjoined red crosses and encircled in base by a red scroll, the ends terminating at either end of the arc of red crosses inscribed ''LIFE AND HEALTH'' in silver letters.

Symbolism
Maroon and white are the colors used for the Army Medical Department. The cross, a traditional symbol for aid and assistance, alludes to the basic mission of the Medical Department Activity at Fort Sill. The two stars refer to Major General Charles Ransom Reynolds, the Surgeon General during the period June 1935 - June 1939 and for whom Reynolds Army Community Hospital, a major element of the Medical Activity, was named. The rays of the background symbolize the General's inspired leadership, contributions and dedication to the Medical profession and service to his Country. The colors red and yellow are used for Artillery and together with the six crosses taken from the Indian shield on the Oklahoma State Flag refer to the Artillery School at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, where the activity is located. In numerology the number six is also symbolic of Life (physical and mental health) and alludes to the motto.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the U.S. Reynolds Army Hospital on 8 September 1971. It was redesignated for the U.S. Army Medical Department Activity, Fort Sill on 21 September 1973. The insignia was amended to update the description and correct the symbolism on 10 February 2014.





Jump to Top