A silver color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02cm) in height overall consisting of a blue enamel mosque silhouette charged with a red enamel cross centered upon a silver torch with a red flame and silver bayonet in saltire above two silver five pointed stars within silver annulets, the bottom and sides of the lower half of the mosque enclosed by two silver branches of laurel separated by a crimson enamel bar with a vertical yellow enamel center stripe and around the dome of the mosque a background of silver rays enclosed by the dome-shaped maroon scroll inscribed with the motto "DEDICATION TO OTHERS" in silver letters, the scroll terminating upon the ends of the laurel branches at either side.
The design symbolizes some of the contributions made by Major General Joseph I. Martin during his 37 years with Army Medical Service. The bayonet, alluding to the Infantry School at Fort Benning where the General (the Captain) trained in 1928, also (together with the scarlet cross) refers to his accomplishments in the area of field medicine, which are reflected in today's modern system of training of medical personnel, symbolized by the flaming torch. The mosque was suggested by the shoulder sleeve insignia of the 5th Army, which General Martin served as Chief Surgeon in Africa and Italy during World War II. Two subsequent post war tours as Chief Surgeon for the Western Pacific with headquarters in Manila and Chief Surgeon for the Pacific with headquarters in Tokyo are represented by the annulet enclosed stars in the lower blue area. The laurel branches represent awards of the Legion of Merit for stateside service in 1940 and the Distinguished Service Medal for the General's outstanding work with the 5th Army in Northern Italy during the winter of 1944-45. The simulated ribbon at bottom center alludes to the American Typhus Commission Medal awarded to General Martin for outstanding and meritorious service during typhus outbreaks in Naples, Italy in 1943-44 and in Japan in 1946.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for Martin Army Hospital on 30 Jan 1970. It was redesignated for the U.S. Army Medical Department Activity, Fort Benning on 22 Aug 1973.