406TH COMBAT SUPPORT HOSPITAL
Distinctive Unit Insignia
A silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a maroon cross couped surmounted by a silver winged motor wheel, the wings extending beyond the horizontal arms of the cross to sinister. Attached below the cross a silver scroll inscribed "AID FOR THE VALIANT" in maroon letters.
Maroon and white are the colors of the Army Medical Department. The winged motor wheel is indicative of speed through utilization of motorized units. The cross and motto allude to the mission of the unit.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 30th Evacuation Hospital on 21 January 1943. It was redesignated for the 406th Combat Support Hospital and amended to revise the description and symbolism on 10 October 1979.