A white star composed of two squares 1 1/2 inches (3.81cm) on the side pierced 3/4 inch (1.91cm) in diameter, all on a dark blue disc background 2 1/4 inches (5.72cm) in diameter.
The design is arbitrarily selected to represent the 8th Corps Area Service Command. White, being a mixture of all colors, has been selected for the reason that Corps Area Service Commands may be composed of all arms and services. The geometric design represents the Command's numeric designation.
The 8th Service Command Headquarters was originally located in San Antonio, Texas, but later moved to Dallas, Texas, and was responsible for the states of Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved on 18 Jul 1941. It was amended on 14 Oct 1941 to change the background from olive drab to dark blue.