A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86cm) in height overall consisting of a light blue decagon, the horizontal sides slightly longer than the vertical sides, behind a maroon Greek cross, the arms extending over and beyond the decagon, and surmounted by a five-pointed white enamel star, one point to base, three points of the star contained within the cross and two points extending over, the decagon bearing twelve gold five-pointed stars saltirewise, three of the stars radiating from each angle of the cross.
Maroon and white are the colors traditionally associated with the Medical Corps. The color blue is symbolic of fidelity and loyalty. The center is named for Private First Class Bryant Homer Womack, Army Medical Department, a native of North Carolina, who was awarded posthumously the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry on 12 March 1952 near Sokso-ri, Korea. This award is referred to by the light blue decagon (suggested by the neck ribbon pad of the Medal of Honor). The thirteen stars (which also appear on the Medal of Honor ribbon) allude to the thirteen original colonies, of which North Carolina was one; the large star refers to the state of North Carolina and the twelve small stars indicate that it was the twelfth state to ratify the Constitution. The saltire of stars also refers to Fort Bragg, North Carolina, where the Center is located.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the Womack Army Hospital on 5 Dec 1969. It was redesignated for the U.S. Army Medical Department Activity, Fort Bragg, on 21 Aug 1973. On 22 Aug 1995 the insignia was redesignated for the Womack Army Medical Center.