A silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/4 inches (3.18cm) in height overall consisting of a shield and crest blazoned: Shield: Sanguine, a torch Argent inflamed Proper entwined by two serpents of the second langued Or. Crest: From a wreath Argent and Sanguine a demi-unicorn rampant Argent armed Or. Attached below the shield a gold color scroll inscribed "KNOWLEDGE-INTEGRITY" in black.
Maroon and white are the colors traditionally associated with the Medical department. The torch, symbolic of learning, is entwined by serpents which represent health-giving virtues. The unicorn, a fabulous creature whose horn possessed the power of purification, denotes the hygienic function of the organization.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the Meat and Dairy Hygiene School on 15 Jul 1953. It was redesignated for the U.S. Army Medical Service Veterinary School on 20 Jul 1962. On 24 Jun 1968 the insignia was amended to add the crest and motto. The distinctive unit insignia was redesignated for the U.S. Army Medical Department Veterinary School on 21 Mar 1969. On 31 Jan 1975 it was cancelled. As an exception to policy the insignia was reinstated for wear by personnel assigned to non-color bearing units of the U.S. Army Medical Department Veterinary Services on 9 Feb 1983. As a result of the organization of the U.S. Army Veterinary Command, the insignia was redesignated for the U.S. Army Veterinary Command and all non-color bearing veterinary units on 2 Oct 1994.