A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height consisting of a shield blazoned: Per fess Or and Gules, a mullet counterchanged and voided of the field, overall a gunstone fimbriated of the first and charged with a pruning knife of the like. Attached below and to the sides of the shield a Gold scroll inscribed "MONSTRANS VIAM" in Red letters.
The colors scarlet and yellow are used for Artillery. The black circle and the pruning knife represent the battalion's Central Europe and Rhineland battle honors awarded for service during World War II. The black circle (gunstone) with a star simulates a shell burst; the star, suggested by the Texas State flag, additionally alluding to Camp Hood, Texas, where the organization was originally activated. The motto translates to "Pointing the Way."
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 528th Field Artillery Battalion on 1 November 1955. The insignia was redesignated for the 528th US Army Artillery Group on 29 June 1967.