A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/4 inches (3.18 cm) in diameter consisting of a red disc on which is the crest of the Army National Guard of the State of Pennsylvania, wreath alternating white and red, lion gold, shield, black and white, sword white.
The device was devised by Benjamin Franklin. In 1747, during the War of the Spanish Succession, the Spaniards threatened Philadelphia, coming up the Delaware as far as New Castle. Dr. Franklin aroused the people and designed a crest and flag which was carried through Philadelphia in 1748 by Colonel Taylor's battalion. The shield is the shield of William Penn, white with black fess bearing three white discs. The unit is allotted to the Pennsylvania Army National Guard and thus uses their State crest.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 53d Field Artillery Brigade on 6 February 1929. It was redesignated for Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 28th Infantry Division Artillery on 22 July 1969. The insignia was amended to change the description on 18 August 1969.