On a red shield 2 3/4 inches (6.99 cm) in height, a glider and parachute in white. A black tab inscribed "AIRBORNE" in yellow letters is worn immediately above the shoulder sleeve insignia. (TIOH Dwg. No. A-1-48)
The glider and parachute represent the airborne mission of the organization.
The shoulder sleeve insignia was approved for the Airborne Command on 22 March 1943. The Command was redesignated the Airborne Center effective 1 March 1944. No official redesignation letter of the insignia was written; however, the manufacturing drawing for the insignia was revised with the addition of an airborne tab for the Airborne Center. The Airborne Center was disbanded and the insignia was rescinded on 29 January 1947. On 10 April 1952, the insignia was reinstated as the Airborne Command for wear by certain claissifed units. The insignia was again rescinded on 21 January 1959.