SHIELDAzure, a pile Argent bearing a polestar Or between two elm leaves palewise Proper.
From a wreath Argent and Azure, a life ring Proper superimposed by an anchor Sable.
A scroll Argent fimbriated Gules and doubled Azure inscribed HAPPINESS, STRENGTH AND COURAGE THROUGH FAITH IN ACTION of the second.
The coat of arms as blazoned in full color on a white disc enclosed by a dark blue border edged on the outer side with a Gold rope and inscribed "USCGC ELM" above and "WLB 204" below in Gold.
SHIELDWhite, blue and red are the colors traditionally used by the Coast Guard. The pile suggests a beacon, representing readiness, preparedness and watchfulness. The polestar denotes the cutter's navigation capabilities. The elm leaves refer to the previous cutters "Elm" and WLB 204, the current USCGC Elm.
The life ring and the anchor denote the rich maritime history of the Coast Guard. The life ring signifies the first rescue performed by the Coast Guard, newly formed on the shores of Cape Lookout, NC, March 1915. The black anchor symbolizes sea prowess; its color suggests the location of the cutter in the "Tarheel State" at Atlantic Beach, North Carolina.