170TH MAINTENANCE COMPANY
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia

Distinctive Unit Insignia

Description
A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Per cross Azure and Argent, a truncated pyramid counterchanged. Attached below the shield a Silver scroll inscribed “CENTER OF THE BEST” in Blue letters.

Symbolism
Blue and white are the colors traditionally associated with Infantry, the original unit. The general home area of the organization is in the geographical center of the United States and the truncated pyramid is representative of the marker erected at that center point.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 287th Infantry Battalion on 2 September 1955. It was redesignated for the 728th Field Artillery Battalion on 21 August 1956. It was redesignated for the 110th Ordnance Battalion on 3 March 1969. The insignia was rescinded on 23 February 1980. It was reinstated and redesignated for the 287th Maintenance Battalion on 26 June 1981. It was redesignated for the 170th Maintenance Company with the description and symbolism revised on 14 November 1991.





Jump to Top