1. Basic Eligibility Criteria. Any person meeting one of the criteria below may be awarded the Special Forces (SF) tab:
(a) Successful completion of U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School (USAJFKSWCS) approved Active Army (AA) institutional training leading to SF qualification.
(b) Successful completion of a USAJFKSWCS approved Reserve Component (RC) SF qualification program.
(c) Successful completion of an authorized unit administered SF qualification program.
2. Active Component institutional training. The SF Tab may be awarded to all personnel who meet the following:
(a) For successful completion of the Special Forces Qualification Course or Special Forces Detachment Officer Qualification Course (previously known as the Special Forces Officer Course). These courses are/were conducted by the USAJFKSWC (previously known as the U.S. Army Institute for Military Assistance).
(b) Prior to 1 January 1988, for successful completion of the then approved program of instruction for Special Forces qualification in a Special Forces Group, who were subsequently awarded, by competent authority, SQI “S” in Career Management Field 18 (enlisted), or SQI “3” in Functional Area 18 (officer).
3. Reserve Component (RC) SF qualification programs. The SF Tab may be awarded to all personnel who successfully complete a RC SF qualification program according to TRADOC Regulation 135-5, dated 1 June 1988 or its predecessors and who were subsequently awarded, by competent authority, SQI “S” or “3” in MOS 11b, 11C, 12B, 05B, 91B, or ASI “5G” or “3.” The USAJFKSWCS will determine individual entitlement for award of the SF Tab based on historical review of Army, Continental Army Command (CONRAC), and TRADOC regulations prescribing SF qualification requirements in effect at the time the individual began an RC SF qualification program.
4. Unit administered SF qualification programs. The SF Tab may be awarded to all personnel who successfully completed unit administered SF qualification programs as authorized by regulation. The USAJFKSWCS will determine individual entitlement to award of the SF Tab based upon historical review of regulations prescribing SF qualification requirements in effect at the time the individual began a unit administered SF qualification program.
5. Former wartime service. The Special Forces Tab may be awarded retroactively to all personnel who performed the following wartime service:
(a) 1942 through 1973. Served with a Special Forces unit during wartime and were either unable to or not required to attend a formal program of instruction but were awarded SQI “S”, “3”, “5G” by competent authority.
(b) Prior to 1954. Service for at least 120 consecutive days in one of the following organizations:
1. 1st Special Service Force, August 1942 to December 1944.
2. OSS Detachment 101, April 1942 to September 1945.
3. OSS Jedburgh Detachments, May 1944 to May 1945.
4. OSS Operational Groups, May 1944 to May 1945.
5. OSS Maritime Unit, April 1942 to September 1945.
6. 6th Army Special Reconnaissance Unit (Alamo Scouts), February 1944 to September 1945.
7. 8240th Army Unit, June 1950 to July 1953.
(c) 1954 through 1975. Any company grade officer or enlisted member awarded the CIB or CMB while serving for at least 120 consecutive days in one of the following type organizations:
1. SF Operational Detachment-A (A-Team).
2. Mobile Strike Force.
3. SF Reconnaissance Team.
4. SF Special Project Unit.
6. Award approval authority. The Commander, U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center (USAJFKSWCS), Fort Bragg, NC 28307-5000 and the Commander, U.S. Army Human Resources Command, ATTN: AHRC-PDO-PA, Alexandria, VA 22332-0471.