A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Sanguine, a cross quarterly pierced Argent in fess point a mullet of the like. Attached above the shield a rounded Silver scroll inscribed “CONSERVE FIGHTING STRENGTH” in Maroon letters.
The shield is in the colors of the Army Medical Service. The cross represents the nature of the service of the unit and the mullet indicates the organization’s point of origin as Texas. The five maroon areas also allude to the five World War II campaign streamers credited to the organization.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 55th Medical Battalion on 20 June 1941. It was redesignated for the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 55th Medical Battalion on 29 May 1957. The insignia was redesignated for the 55th Medical Group on 15 December 1967.