Identification Badges
Skip Navigation Links.
Army Staff - Identification Badge


Description
The Coat of Arms of the United States in gold with the stripes of the shield to be enameled white and red and chief of the shield and the sky of the glory to be enameled blue, superimposed on a five-pointed black enameled star; in each reentrant angle of the star are three green enameled laurel leaves. The star is 3 inches (7.62 cm) in diameter for the Chief of Staff and former Chiefs of Staff and 2 inches (5.08 cm) in diameter for all other personnel awarded the badge.

Symbolism
The badge is based on the General Staff insignia with a black star in lieu of the Silver Star. The addition of the laurel leaves indicate achievement.

Award Eligibility
See Army Regulation 600-8-22, Military Awards.

Date Approved
The badge was first proposed by General MacArthur, while Chief of Staff, in a conversation with Brigadier General Andrew Moses, then Assistant Chief of Staff, G1, War Department General Staff, on 28 December 1931. Subsequently, the badge was designed by the Office of the Quartermaster General and approved by the Chief of Staff, General MacArthur, on 28 July 1933. It was announced on 23 August 1933 in War Department Circular No. 45 and award was made retroactive to 4 June 1920. Sergeants Major were authorized to be awarded the badge effective 30 September 1978 and the effective date for Warrant Officers was 22 August 1979. The lapel button for civilian personnel in the grade of GS-11 and higher was authorized effective 1 July 1982. The Army Chief of Staff, General Wickham, also approved a change in the name of the badge from Army General Staff Identification Badge to Army Staff Identification Badge. On 4 May 2004, the Deputy Chief of Staff, G-1, approved changes to the eligibility requirements.

Subdued Badge
The Army Staff Identification Badge is not authorized to be worn or manufactured in a subdued version.

Miniature Badge

A miniature badge with 7 stripes in the chief instead of 13 stripes and 1 1/2 inches (3.81 cm) in diameter was authorized on 23 June 1989.






Jump to Top