A silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/4 inches (3.18 cm) in height overall consisting of a triangle, vertically divide, white and blue issuing from the apex of the triangle a white cloud above a mountain terrain counterchanged, all within a blue border. Entwining the upper part of the triangle a silver segmented scroll inscribed "HIEMES OPPUGNAMUS ET MONTES SUPERAMUS" in blue letters.
The triangle, the symbol for the Greek letter "delta" is representative of the first military installation at this location, "Big Delta," the airfield used in World War II ferrying operations to Russia. Within the triangle is an abstract interpretation of Mount Hayes, the dominant terrain feature in this area, which is representative of the mountain operations portion of the Center's mission. The cold weather portion of the mission is depicted by the white snow on the lower portion of Mount Hayes. The motto translates to "We Battle Cold and Conquer Mountains."
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the US Army Cold Weather and Mountain School on 17 September 1958. It was rescinded on 17 June 1963. The insignia was reinstated and redesignated for the US Army Northern Warfare Training Center on 18 August 1977.