A gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/8 inches (3.49 cm) in height consisting of a gold staff with white wings between two gold fleams respectant and inverted surmounted by a dark blue pillow, one corner up, bearing a white seven-pointed star, the fleams and pillow supported by a dark blue scroll inscribed "MUST" in gold letters; all superimposed on a maroon representation of the Philippine sun.
The Philippine sun refers to the action during World War II for which the Hospital was awarded the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation. Also, the sun, which moves like a wheel through its course in the sky, stands for mobility. In addition, it is a symbol of vitality, knowledge and healing. The seven-pointed white star is taken from the flag of Australia where the organization was initially activated in 1943. It refers to Papua, territory of Australia, where the Hospital saw action for which it was awarded the Distinguished Unit Citation. The lone star also alludes to Texas where the organization was recently reactivated. The fleam is a heraldic device representing a surgeon's lancet. It refers to the Hospital's mission of resuscitative surgery. The pillow alludes to rest, solace and medical treatment provided by the Hospital. The staff is an attribute of Aesculapius, known as the Father of Medicine. The wings, a symbol of protection, refer to the Hospital's function of conserving fighting strength. Wings also stand for swiftness and refer to the unit's capability of being 100% mobile. The winged staff between the fleams simulates the Medical Corps insignia. The two wings and the two fleams, which give the appearance of "22," refer to the Hospital's numerical designation. The colors maroon and white are for the Medical Corps. The motto "MUST," the abbreviation for "Medical Units, Self-contained, Transportable," indicates the strong determination of the Hospital to carry out its mission.
The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 18 September 1968.