A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) in height consisting of a gold wheel with gold wing displayed to the right and the spaces between the spokes in maroon, all upon the center of two crossed stretchers in white the four angles formed by the crossed stretchers each containing a green fleur-de-lis with a fifth one on the top of the vertical stretcher, all enclosed by a continuous maroon scroll arched at top and bottom bearing the words "RIGOROUS" above and "CONSISTENCY" below in gold letters.
Maroon and white are the colors of the Army Medical Department. The two stretchers refer to the Hospital's numerical designation, and the cross formed by the stretchers alludes to the Geneva Cross. The stretchers, together with the winged wheel (an emblem of Hermes, a mythological deity of health), symbolize the Hospital's special function of evacuation of the wounded. The five fleurs-de-lis denote participation in five campaigns in the European Theater, from Normandy in France, to Central Europe, during World War II. The color green, originally used by the Army's "Medical Department" in 1847, is also the academic color for the faculty of medicine, and symbolic of health, hope and life. Gold signifies excellence, vitality and wisdom.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 2d Evacuation Hospital on 17 September 1969. It was redesignated for the 2d Combat Support Hospital on 11 March 1974. The insignia was redesignated for the 2d Surgical Hospital with the symbolism amended on 14 February 1985.