Within a red triangle, corners rounded, pointing down, a silver pelican rising, wings elevated and addorsed, dexter foot raised upon three gold roundels, the whole fimbriated gold. The insignia is 1 3/32 inches (2.78 cm) in width. The insignia is to be worn in pairs.
The red background represents Artillery. Pelican is the term for a mediaeval culverin or long cannon.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 46th Field Artillery Brigade on 18 December 1941. It was redesignated for the Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 46th Field Artillery Group on 17 November 1954. The insignia was redesignated for Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 46th Artillery Group on 2 February 1959.