Army of Puerto Rican Occupation Medal
The Bronze medallion is 1 1/4 inches in diameter. It is oxidized, relieved and has a matte finish.
Centered is a castle with two small round towers at its corners. At top around the outside of the medal is the inscription “ARMY OF OCCUPATION OF PUERTO RICO”. The date “1898” appears at the bottom. To the left of the date is a branch of tobacco plant, and to the right is a stalk of sugar cane.
A spread eagle on a trophy consisting of a cannon, six rifles and four standards, an Indian shield, quiver of arrows and three spears, a Cuban machete and Sulu kris. Below the trophy are the words “FOR SERVICE”. The whole is surrounded by a circle composed of the words “UNITED STATES ARMY” in the upper half and thirteen stars in the lower half.
The ribbon is 1 3/8 inches in width. It is composed of the following vertical stripes: 1/16 inch Old Glory Red 67156; 3/8 inch Ultramarine Blue 67118; 1/16 inch Golden Yellow 67104; 3/8 inch Old Glory Red; 1/16 inch Golden Yellow; 3/8 inch Ultramarine Blue; and 1/16 inch Old Glory Red.
See Army Regulation 600-8-22, Military Awards.
Medal (regular size): MIL-DTL-3943/188.
The medal was authorized by Compilation of Orders, Change No. 15, dated February 4, 1919, for officers and enlisted personnel of the United States Army for service in Puerto Rico from August 14, 1898 to December 10, 1898. It was designed by Mr. Francis D. Millett.
The castle with two small round towers at its corners, is said to be a modification of the castle that appears on the Royal Arms of Spain, the round towers possibly referring to the two Morro Castles, at Havana and Santiago de Cuba.